Saturday, January 31, 2015

Week 3 Weigh In & Review

Starting Measurements
Weight - 240lbs
Waist - 47"
Chest - 45.5"
Shoulders - 50.5"
Biceps - 14"
Thighs - 24.5"
Calves - 16.5"


Today's Measurements
Weight - 232lbs
Waist - 44"
Chest - 44.5"
Shoulders - 48"
Biceps - 14"
Thighs - 24.5"
Calves - 16.5"


Blood Pressure
139/86


Week 3 has come to an end.  This was a good week for me.  I got my first three workouts in no sweat.  The big issue was going to be yesterdays workout.  I had a work dinner at a nice steak house and went to town.  Woke up Friday morning feeling like dog shit.  Got to the gym and got my work in.  That's big for me.  In the past, I was the guy who'd skip a workout for any reason.  I'm really digging the 5/3/1 workout.  I feel like I am getting stronger week by week, but I am not killing myself where I can barely get through the rest of the day and I think that has kept me coming back.

As far as the workouts go, I have been experiencing some lower back pain on deadlift and squat days.  It could be that my back is really weak or it could be bad form.  To play it safe, I'm planning on getting a 1 on 1 training session in the next week or two to have a trainer make sure my form is correct so I don't get injured.  Can't get stronger and leaner if you can't workout.

As good as my workouts were, my diet was not great.  I had a huge dinner Thursday which I knew would be a lot of calories, but the rest of the week was kind of sloppy.  Too many carbs one day, too many calories another.  I need to focus on my diet to make this transformation happen a little quicker.

This past week, I started listening to the Jay Ferruggia Show and in one episode they were talking about setting specific goals.  That got me thinking to what my goals are.  Losing weight is generic and even if I have a weight goal in mind, I am not sure if that weight will be a good weight considering I am adding on muscle.  My general goals are to lose fat, get stronger and functionally stronger(I don't want to be strong but useless) and do it all without running more than 100 yards in one go.  To help me hit those general goals, I've come up with specific goals to give me something to shoot for.
  1. I will continue the 5/3/1 workout for 6 months.
  2. I want to do at least one sprint(hills or incline treadmill) workout a week.
  3. Hike a trail with my kids at least once a month.
  4. I will do 5 continuous pull-ups by 12/31/15.
  5. I will do 10 continuous dips by 12/31/15.
  6. I will read 10 books by 12/31/15
  7. I want to fit into 36 waist pants by 12/31/15.
Monday I will be starting the workout cycle over.  This cycle I will be adding weight to most of my exercises.  I am going to maintain my squat weight for another cycle to make sure I hone in my skill and am considering lowering my deadlift weight for the same reason.

I am also considering cutting back on sets/reps on my assistance lifts(3 sets/10 reps) and adding one more exercise each day to help increase my functional strength.  I will be adding pushups on Military Press day, Ab Wheel Roll Outs on Deadlift day, Biceps curls on Bench Press Days, and Single Legs RDLs on Squat days.  I will also be adding incline treadmill sprints at the end of every workout.  I will be using the plan laid out in the article, Cardio for Strong People.  And for mobility, I will be doing the Limber 11 a couple times a week.  Improving every day.  Trying to become the best me I can.


Walking   
   
Time Incline   Speed
33 mins1%3.1mph

No comments:

Post a Comment