Sunday, January 25, 2015

Fuck Cardio

One of my goals in my kaizen as far as getting in shape was to do it without running for than 100 yards at a time.  Back in high school, I could run for days.  I had a 2 mile time of 11:36.  I ran and ran and ran to stay in shape for soccer.  It was nothing.  I was in pretty good shape running wise.  Now that I have gotten older(and heavier), the idea of running miles is less appealing.  So during my time researching workout plans, I came across several articles talking about how made long sustained cardio is not and efficient use of time or energy to lose fat and build muscle. It can actually be detrimental on both fronts.  Articles such as Why Cardio Sucks… And What to do Instead or How to Burn Fat Without Losing Muscle or The Best Damn Cardio Article - Period and Regular Cardio Will Make You Fat give you more details and specifics about why long steady cardio is not good for you.

That said, I was looking for something to help build my stamina but not hinder my strength training goals.  Two things I am across:  Walking and Sprinting.  Hill Sprints in particular. Since I am still way overweight, I decided to start slow and build up to sprinting and hill sprinting (I have already found a nasty hill to run up).  I needed to get a game plan for walking.  How often, how far, how fast, etc.  Browsing the web today, I came across an article by Tim Henriques entitled Get Ripped. Get Walking.  Tim lays out some benefits of walking and then lays out a pretty good plan, especially for someone like me who doesn't like ambiguity with plans.  Tell me what to do, when to do it and how long to do it for and I'll get it done.  I'll be adding this to my weekly regiment 4 days a week which I started today.

Thanks to guys like Jason Ferruggia, Nate Miyaki and Tim Henriques for giving me ways to lose fat without having to run miles and miles.

Walking  
Time       Incline      Speed
30 mins 1% 3mph

No comments:

Post a Comment