Saturday, June 11, 2016

Trail Ruck March

So after a period of working out around your neighborhood, you take it up into the hills or mountains. You thought you were in good shape but the mountains are a harsh mistress (with apologies to Heinlein). You find this kicks it up considerably, as you adjust to the longer and more frequent stretches of uphill effort. But you DO have some kind of base, so you start to adjust to it, and pretty soon you find you are Tabbing like a trooper. Much to the chagrin of “regular” hikers on the trails. (The initial looks of mommies and daddies with kids as they encounter this beastie with this big military ruck boring down on them is priceless.)
I've been doing ruck marches on the streets in my town the past couple weeks.  Starting with 2 miles then 4 and then slowly increasing the weight of the pack.  The roads are up and down but mostly flat and row was today a wake up call on the trails of the Wilderness Center.  3 miles in the woods were almost the same amount of time I did 4 miles on the streets.  I haven't tried actually running with the pack just, just walking and trying to keep my time under 15 min/mile.  I am hoping to increase my running during the week to help build a base to increase this time.

Ruck March (Trail)
DistanceTimeWeight
3 miles49:2735lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment